Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Branding gets Personal

Hi,

At the outset, I would like to thank you for visting my blog. This is my first ever attempt to blog. But hey, I'll try to make it interesting and will make sure that it stays that way for all my future blogs to come. I'm a firm believer that every cause has an effect and visa-versa. That way, this blog too is an effect of a cause. The cause - my more than a year old research on an upcoming concept in the world - Personal Branding.

I'm Harish Menon and I've been researching on this concept for more than a year. My motive is to spread the concept across to people through my blogs, books, workshops so that more and more people stand benefited. Sounds interesting? Then let's take the first dip into this as fresh as a daisy concept.

With the help of this introductory blog, I would like to introduce you to Personal Branding and gradually we will dwell deeper into the subject, share views and insights. So, let's get started......

I'm sure you will agree that most of us have role models and mostly our role models are celebrities. We idolize our role models for their success in the field they are in. Most of us aspire to be like them but somewhere down the line our aspirations remain as wishes. Have you ever wondered what is it that makes your celebrity role model successful and what would it take you to be like him/her? Let us ask ourselves - “What is it that I want to be known for?”

Most of us have asked the above question to ourselves, but during the progress in our career, our question remained unanswered. Even if we knew the answer, we were unable to make our wish a reality due to various reasons in our life be it peer pressure, family pressures and a need to sustain the financial element in our lives. The result is most of us are stuck in jobs which we are not happy doing. But we continue to be in the job because we have mortgages to pay, families to feed and lifestyles to maintain. We are constantly worried about our job security. This make us insecure.

Is there something that can help make our lives better?

The answer is Yes.

What is it that can help make our lives better? The answer lies in the most used word in Marketing - "Branding".

How can branding help us achieve what we want to do? - Through a new concept called - Personal Branding. The concept was first introduced by Tom Peters in 1997 in his book ' Branding you'. The concept due to some reason still is in its initial stages of development with very few people around the globe actually talking about the concept. So what is Personal Branding?

Personal Branding is taking branding a step further. A step closer to You!

Regardless of your age, status and profession you are branded each moment of your life. Throughout your life you support and endorse other brands but forget to promote the most crucial brand “YOU!”

Watch out this space to dwell in deep into Personal Branding.

During my research, I've bounced off the topic to numerous individuals from varied strata of interests and professions - Academicians, corporates, creative geniuses and so on. To my amazement, most of them (including experts from the feild of marketing & branding) had just one thing to say " How can we brand ourselves? We are not products !"

To be continued............

No comments:

Post a Comment